Since I’m on a summer cocktail ban due to my little bundle of joy, I have made many attempts at finding the perfect summer refresher now that I’m mojito free in the sunshine. I had never tried an agua fresca until a few weeks ago, when at a local mexican restaurant (Chago’s) I discovered this fabuloso summer surprise. It’s crazy good, crazy crazy good, and I can’t get enough! Definitely one of my top cravings especially with farmers market strawberries and the mint that is barely hanging on in my touring musician’s garden (aka “dying” garden). Hope you love this as much as I do! Enjoy!
~Scroll down for recipe~
- 2 1/2 cups hulled strawberries, plus strawberry slices for garnish
- 1 1/2 cups water, plus more as needed
- 1 to 2 cups club soda
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- Ice cubes as needed
- Mint sprigs for garnish
- In a blender, combine 2 1/2 cups of the strawberries and 1 1/2 cups of the water and puree until smooth. Place a fine-mesh sieve over a bowl. Pour the puree into the sieve, using a silicone spatula to press the mixture through the sieve. Discard the strawberry seeds left in the sieve.
- Transfer the strawberry puree to a pitcher. Add the sugar and lime juice, stir to combine. Add an 1 to 2 cups of soda water until you reach desired consistency.
- Fill 4 glasses with ice cubes. Pour the agua fresca into the glasses. Garnish each with strawberry slices and a mint sprig. Serves 4.
Photos and recipe by Katie Jacobs of StylingMyEveryday.com